Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New Deep Sea Fishing Gear!

After arriving in Cairns, one of the first things I noticed was that there was no fishing gear on the boat. I have been following EYE from the beginning and one of my favorite stories was about catching the sailfish. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I asked the crew what happened and the answer was that fish in the Pacific were too big for their gear.

So on the last day in Cairns I walked around town until I found a tackle shop. The price of a proper reel and line for big fish was really expensive, so I decided to go the old fashioned way with a hand reel. Basically a hand reel is a long rope with a deep sea lure at the end, and instead of using a pole you reel in the fish with your bare hands. So far I have not caught anything but I will keep you posted.